How Does This Week Hate Me? Let Me Count The Ways


This week didn’t start off too badly. I worked Monday and Tuesday evening, found some great pajamas for Tay on sale on my day off on Wednesday and even found myself a decent sweater at half price.

That’s pretty much everything that went right with the week.

Yesterday I opened, so I was up at 4 in the morning, biking to work at 4:30 and worked until 1:30. Afterwards I stopped at the grocery store to get some stuff for dinner and then came home. It was only a couple hours later when I was leaving the house to pick up Tay that I put on my coat, put my hands in my pockets and realized my wallet was gone.

Trying not to panic, I searched my coat, my backpack, the floor around where my coat was, my pants and anywhere else I could think of where my wallet might be.

No wallet.


I called Piet, let him know what was going on and that I had to have had my wallet at the store cause I used my debit card to buy the groceries, but somehow, between there and our house, my wallet must’ve fallen from my pocket.
We called the grocery store to see if anyone had found anything, but no one had, so that was that. I lost my identity card, both Tay and my insurance cards, 3 different debit cards and a credit card, the key card to the daycare, and worst of all (cause everything else can be replaced), a gift card to the store we buy a lot of our baby supplies in (it was for over 90 euro).
It also meant I had to stop all my debit/credit cards, get passport photos for a temporary ID card, and file a report with the police in order to have the documentation to replace all the lost cards.

Obviously, I was pissing vinegar and shooting death rays from my eyes for the most of the evening.

Which brings us to this morning.

4:30 am.

Biking to work again, in the dark, cause 4:30 isn’t even the ass crack of dawn, it’s buried somewhere between the cheeks.
I didn’t see the stick on the mostly unlit bike path until it was two late and I ran over it, doing substantial damage to the gear attached to my rear wheel. Said gear snapped off and tangled in the spokes.

Said bike was clearly no longer mobile and too heavy to carry the rest of the way to work.

I went to grab my cell phone to call Piet only to realize I’d left it on the charger at home.

Which is probably best cause had I heard his voice I likely would’ve burst into tears.
But instead I chained the bike to the nearest pole and walked the rest of the way to work. Once there I realized without my bike I couldn’t go to the police station on the way home and further realized that without my wallet I had no means of getting money for passport photos anyway and without my phone I couldn’t reach Piet to maybe get the money out for me.

With all this on my mind (as well as wondering how the hell I was going to get to work on Monday…again having to leave the house at 4:30 am) I got through the day and decided I’d simply go home, try to calm down, call Piet from there and maybe pick Tay up early to spend some time being happy with him.
I was sitting on the tram, waiting to go (and hoping no controls happened on tickets cause mine was in my wallet and I had no money to buy a new one and now no other way to get home) when the driver anounced that the route that goes to the stop I need to get home wasn’t accessible and anyone on that route would have to get off and either take a tram to the city center for a bus or take a bus from the station (none of which stop very near our house).

So I caught a tram to the center, went to Piet’s office, and once he came out, started bawling because really, the day couldn’t get too much worse outside of a fatality or the house burning down or losing a limb or something.

Piet did what he does best; got on his phone, made some calls and began to fix the situation, while I stood there sniffling and wishing I could somehow punt the deity of bad fortune right in his stupid head.

In the end Piet lent me his bank card, I was able to get the photos, file the police report, get the needed papers and Piet and his dad will go collect my bike to take it to a repair shop this weekend. I’ll also be able to borrow my mother in law’s bike for Monday.

I’m just hoping that nothing too bad happens tomorrow, since Tay will be turning 6 months old and I don’t want that fairly momentous occasion to be tarnished.

Get back Evil Eye


2 responses »

  1. A terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day (or two). I’ll bet Australia is sounding pretty good right now. Such days stink. You know it can only get better.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s